Emerging Designer finalists embrace the green
Media Release: Wednesday 18 January 2012
iD reveals 2012 Emerging Designer finalists
Fashion history will be created and careers launched when the world’s hot new fashion talent show their collections at the 8th annual iD International Emerging Designer Awards in Dunedin, New Zealand.
Twenty eight finalists from seven countries have been selected to show at this year’s prestigious event to be held on Thursday 29 March 2012, at the Lion Foundation Arena, Edgar Stadium, Dunedin.
Victoria Muir, iD’s event co-ordinator says the iD Awards are continuing to attract international talent who travel from around the globe (including Switzerland, Israel and Croatia) for the opportunity to show at this must-see fashion event.
“For the first time since this international fashion competition was launched in 2005, we have a finalist from Canada, with an even stronger representation from New Zealand and Australia. Every year I’m amazed at the quality of the entries we receive, and this year is no different. I’ve collated over 100 entries from 11 different countries, representing some of the most prestigious fashion schools in the world.”
Tanya Carlson, fashion designer and selection panellist, says it is exciting to see more menswear collections in this year’s entries, alongside many applicants showing sustainable processes and a greater awareness of the environment.
“It’s great to see an increase in the number of Australian finalists embracing the opportunities the iD Awards offer – including having their collections seen by one of the industry’s best, Hilary Alexander, who I’m looking forward to meeting again!”
This year’s finalists are:
- From New Zealand:
- Auckland University of Technology: Vihanga Mahesh Sontam.
- Massey University: Luka Mues; Samantha Murray; Andie Ye Ji.
- Otago Polytechnic: Grace Averis; Phillip Hawkins; Jojo Ross.
- Whitecliffe College of Art and Design: Sally Huang; Yun Shin Do.
- From Australia:
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology: Carolina Barua; Allison Bell; Jon Cordiano; Katie Dickinson; Christina Exie; Jane Fuge; Chris Ran Lin.
- University of Technology, Sydney: Penny Allen; Ben Bala; Kacey Devlin; Natalia Grzybowski; Patricia Kapeleris; Caitlin Murray; Keira Paradice.
- From Austria:
- University of Applied Arts, Vienna: Tanja Bradaric & Taro Ohmae.
- From Canada:
- Ryerson University: Yvonne Lin.
- From Croatia:
- University of Zagreb: Verdrana Mastela.
- From Israel:
- Shenkar College of Engineering and Design: Renana Krebs.
- From Switzerland:
- University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland (FHNW): Julia Klein-Klute.
The selection panel comprised of renowned New Zealand fashion designers Tanya Carlson (Carlson), Sara Aspinall (Company of Strangers) and Anjali Stewart (twenty-seven names).
Prizes include NZ$5,000 for first place winner, $3,000 for second place, $1000 for third place, with other special prizes yet to be announced.
Winners from the 2012 iD International Emerging Designer Awards will show their collections at the iD Dunedin Fashion Show on Friday 30 and Saturday 31 March 2012.
For more information and event details visit www.idfashion.co.nz
Tags: green design