Sustainable backyards in Tauranga features Big Dessert Night for Earth Hour
MEDIA RELEASE – Sustainable Backyards
Envirohub BOP (previously Tauranga Environment Centre) is gearing for Sustainable Backyards this March – a month long Calendar of Events to celebrate and support the fantastic range of local environmental initiatives run by individuals and organisations in our communities.
Registrations are flying in for this year’s Calendar of Events with a great line-up of over 50 activities including the Earth Hour Big Dessert Night, Tauranga Harbour Symposium, a range of food and garden themed workshops, a film screening, eco-inspirational homes tours, volunteering opportunities and much more!
Key Events organised or supported by Envirohub BOP:
• Launch morning at the strand waterfront – 7-9 am Friday 1st March – come along and get a copy of the calendar of events and make a breakfast smoothie on our cycle powered smoothie machine!
• Sea week activities – Tauranga Harbour Symposium 7th March, Waihi Beach clean and painting of beach posts (supported by Master Painters Association) 10th March.
• TCC Children’s Day –3rd March – Envirohub will have the Hydro Hub and an interactive stall at children’s day, Historic Village.
• Sustainable Homes Tour – 16th March – Tour of 3 eco homes around Tauranga, with a focus on renewable energy (Supported by Bayline Coaches).
• Film screening “Growing Change”– 20th March – Green screening – followed by a panel of gardening experts to answer questions and speak about community gardens and permaculture activities in Tauranga and the Western BOP.
• Earth hour – 23rd March 8:30-9:30pm – With support from Tauranga City Council, Envirohub Bay of Plenty is promoting a ‘Big Dessert Night’ – encouraging neighbourhood and community groups to get together over dessert to mark Earth Hour on their street, at their local reserve, school, or at home.
• Mystery Volunteer Bus – 24th March – Participants are taken to YMCA Tauranga to paint inside a renovated building (using recycled paint), then to Envirohub to help out in the garden (Supported by Bayline Coaches and The Master Painters Association). Followed by a BBQ at Envirohub.
• Youth forum – 25th March – Bringing together youth led initiatives and inspiring young people to focus on important issues and how we can make a difference going in to the future.
Watch out for the calendar of events in the Weekend Sun on the 1st of March and online at envirohub.org.nz from the 23rd of February. Don’t forget to ‘Like’ us on Facebook to receive regular updates on events (search for Sustainable Backyards)! Thank you to our Sustainable Backyards 2013 headline sponsors: TECT, Tauranga City Council, and Pub Charity.
Earth Hour ‘Big Dessert Night’ – a new initiative for Western BOP
Sustainable Backyards 2013 is proudly supported by:
With support from Tauranga City Council, Envirohub Bay of Plenty is promoting a ‘Big Dessert Night’ – encouraging neighbourhood and community groups to get together over dessert to mark Earth Hour on their street, at their local reserve, school, or at home.
Each neighbourhood or group registered will receive an information pack with top tips and ideas on how to set up a Big Dessert Night in their area, and be encouraged to make a community pledge of action to make their neighbourhood greener, safer, and more fun. There will be a range of prizes for
the ‘biggest dessert’, the best ‘Big Dessert Night’ photo and best community pledge poster.
Earth Hour is an international event organised by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) which encourages people to turn off their lights between 8.30-9.30pm on the 23rd of March each year to raise awareness about the need to take action on climate change.
Sign up to host a Big Dessert Night in your neighbourhood! Go to http://www.envirohub.org.nz/
FACT: Happyzine works to bring awesome, inspiring news about events like this one to thousands of people each week, thanks to members of Club Happyzine.