Headline »

November 1, 2016 – 7:58 am |

Happyzine has been sold! More information soon …
Ever thought about running a good news website? Here’s your chance.
Happyzine.co.nz has been a force for the positive for the last nine years in New Zealand, sharing good …

Read the full story »
Business
Community
Environment
Blog
Youth
Home » Archive by Category

Articles in Community

The 100 Mile People Harvest! Week 1: Morrinsville – Town of My Ancestors

September 25, 2010 – 5:44 pm |

By Rebecca Toon
An inspiring four week harvest of visionary people and projects achieving the seemingly impossible within 100 miles of my Coromandel home.
What do French pirates, Egyptian numerology, really good dresses and my ancestors have …

Our Future is in Their HANDS

September 22, 2010 – 3:05 pm | 3 Comments

As Golden Bay’s complementary currency goes from strength to strength, the youth of Golden Bay are now being invited to participate as “Young HANDS.”
Starting now, children and young adults may join H.A.N.D.S. as Young HANDS.  …

International Peace Day: Be the Peace We Want to See

September 21, 2010 – 12:58 pm |

– By Grace Deathridge
Tuesday 21st September is the UN International Day of Peace – ‘Peace Day’ for short. For me its return brings back happy memories of last year’s Peace Day with hope and excitement …

A Northland Chit Chat – by Claire Chateau

September 12, 2010 – 9:06 am |

The word of mouth is a powerful tool when it comes to promoting an authentic community event. The Old Library in Whangarei was full recently for the 4th edition of  Pecha-Kucha Night (=chit-chat in …

Earthquake and Good News – Guest Blog from Heather Hapeta

September 5, 2010 – 9:39 pm | One Comment

There is a lot of good news with the earthquake that needs saying as its very easy for us locals (and the media) to be all doom and gloom ‘when bad things happen’.
Here are just …

Five Good Reasons to Get Out of Bed in the Week-End to go to the Growers Market

August 28, 2010 – 7:19 pm | 3 Comments

by Claire Chateau
Like me, you are probably an expert at finding reasons why you are not going to make it to the early local growers market at the week-end. Busy week at work (“all the …

Grey Lynn Farmer’s Market – Notices

August 23, 2010 – 7:00 pm |

“Dear friends of the Grey Lynn Farmers’ Market,
We’re very excited to announce that the next street market will take place on Sunday, 26th September from 9am – 12.30pm in the West Lynn shopping district on …

Frocks on Bikes – Nelson Notices

August 5, 2010 – 10:36 pm | 3 Comments

Saturday 7 August 2010 – 10.30am meet at Zumos for a coffee followed by a gentle ride with everyone looking fabulous around our Nelson CBD.
The route:
From Zumos on Rutherford St, head North towards Halifax St.  …

Kia Ora From the North

July 27, 2010 – 10:27 am | One Comment

The other night I was really grumpy.
Having sat two exams during the day, tried to move house that evening, and somewhat failed on the realisation that my car was broken and couldn’t be moved out …

PlanBig – The Community that Helps Great Dreams Fly

July 23, 2010 – 8:46 pm | One Comment

Got a plan? Need help? Just PlanBig it!
Ever had an idea that you didn’t quite know how to make happen? Ever had a dream that you needed help to make into reality? Ever wanted to …

We Need to Be Heard

July 21, 2010 – 2:55 pm | One Comment

MEDIA RELEASE
New Zealand Deaf Foundation
We need to be heard
The National Foundation for the Deaf wants to give people who are hearing impaired and deaf the  opportunity to be heard by their Members of Parliament.  NFD …

Chicken breeds

July 8, 2010 – 9:18 pm | One Comment

More information about our feathered friends from Landscape Architect and chicken guru Janet Luke.
Which Breed?
There are many breeds of chicken. Actually there are so many to choose from it is all a bit confusing.
Standard …

Little Things Make a Huge Difference … by Yvonne McLaren

June 28, 2010 – 6:22 pm |

Homelessness and generally people in need are always one of those things where we all want to do something. Most people in New Zealand are basically pretty decent people. When disaster strikes, kiwis roll up …

Hastings and New Plymouth to Receive $7 million Boost for Cycling and Walking

June 25, 2010 – 12:07 pm |

Media release from Cycling Advocates’ Network, www.can.org.nz
Friday 25 June 2010
Hastings and New Plymouth will benefit from a $7 million Model Communities project aimed at getting more people cycling and walking.
Cycling groups welcomed the news.
“Everyone wins …

Reverse-in Parking Safer for Drivers, Passengers, Pedestrians and Cyclists

June 22, 2010 – 8:28 pm |

Cycling Advocates’ Network (CAN) says reverse-in parking is better for people in cars and pedestrians as well as cyclists.
CAN spokesperson, Anne FitzSimon, applauds New Zealand Transport Agency support for reverse-in parking.
“Reverse-in parking improves the driver’s …

Peace Celebrations – A Part of the WW1 Story

June 18, 2010 – 7:29 pm |

Ministry for Culture and Heritage
Media release
A neglected part of New Zealand’s First World War story, the elaborate peace celebrations held in July 1919, is now being told on Ministry for Culture and Heritage website www.nzhistory.net.nz.
‘In …

Introducing HomeGrownMarket – Where You Can Buy Sell and Trade Local Stuff

June 12, 2010 – 11:55 am | One Comment

Charlotte Squire talks with www.HomeGrownMarket.co.nz Founder Laurie Mitchell
1. What is Home grown market?
HomeGrown Market is a website that helps communities buy, swap and sell locally produced stuff.
www.HomeGrownMarket.co.nz – the “Community TradeMe” – A Free Place …

CAN Congratulates Kiwis and NZ Police on Lower Speeds

June 9, 2010 – 6:45 pm |

Lower tolerance on speeding should be permanent
The Cycling Advocates’ Network (CAN) congratulates the NZ Police for their successful campaign on lower speeds.
CAN spokesperson, Anne FitzSimon, says, “Well done New Zealand, our best road safety record …

Free Public Notices on the Web hits New Zealand

June 7, 2010 – 8:35 pm | One Comment

Public notices often contain personal information that you want to let the general public , friends and family know about. Newspapers have been the normal media for getting the news out, but the world wide …

Salads and skill-sharing: what makes a community money system into a “community glue”

May 19, 2010 – 11:04 am | 2 Comments

Pausing, I look up to see three warm-hearted women kneeling around a coffee table in front of me. Each gazes intently at a crystal in her hand. Each dangles her prism over the positive and …

?php get_sidebar(); ?>